Technology Learning Experience

Follow me as I explore the use of technology in the classroom. I believe that effective technology integration helps in creating a student-centered learning culture. This blog will include my reflections on how to use technology for effective learning. I don't want to use technology just for the sake of using technology. I want students to have a meaningful learning experience. My ultimate goal is to be considered amongst great teachers who have the following characteristics:

1. Sound classroom management skills.
2. Ability to actively engage all learners.
3. Firm understanding of best practices and effective pedagogical techniques.
4. Addresses the needs of all learners by differentiating instruction.
5. Designs lessons that foster critical thinking skills and cognitive growth through authentic-based practices.
6. Are supportive, caring, and passionate about what they do.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Week 3: #5 Explore Flickr

Photo from Flicker:
The Realm of Obsolete Technology

This photo is an awesome piece of surrealist art. I can see using it as a discussion/writing prompt for students to think about changes in technology and how many things become obsolete.

This causes me to think about my own views on technology. I can remember when my music came on vinyl records, when I decided to first buy a VCR and couldn't decide Beta or VHS, when you had to get up to change the channel, and when you made a phone call and no one was home, you just had to call back later...no answering machine!

Our music once came to us on vinyl records and has gone through an evolution of reel to reel tape, to 8-track, to cassette, to CD and now to electronic formats. Our history is recorded on some formats that unless the technological equipment has been carefully been preserved, is unable to be retrieved any longer. Old 8-tracks found in the attic were recently sacrificed at a yard sale. The music on them were classic, but without a way to listen to them, and the fact that the tape was most likely deteriorating, we lost out.

As I ponder this issue, it causes me to reflect on how we have become a "throw away" society. Think about it. Once upon a time, manufacturers prided themselves on building products that would last. My parents bought one telephone during the entire time I was growing up (in fact, they had it before I was born). I know that in my lifetime, I've purchased at least six or seven phones for my house. With the advent of the cell phone, I replace a phone about every two years, sometimes more often for my teenagers who wear them out sooner. These new gadgets are more delicate not only due to the electrical components, but even the cases often crack easily.

I don't believe it's because items can't be made to last, but instead it is a sure fire way for manufacturers to stay in business...keep the consumer coming back to replace the item. But that is entirely another topic to ponder at another time. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment